Humified Compost / Soil Essence
Soil Essence™ Humus is our flagship product. Humus improves soil in a variety of ways. As a matter of fact, scientists have identified as many as 1,000 different benefits from Humus in the soil! A few of these benefits are:
- Humus is a complex material formed during the breakdown of organic matter and contains humic acid which provides many binding sites for plant nutrients. These nutrients are stored in the humic acid molecule in a form readily available to plants and are released when the plants require them.
- Humus is a source of necessary organic carbon and nitrogen.
- Humified compost supplies humic acids which expand clay colloids in the soil, creating a porous structure which allows oxygen to penetrate.
- Humus holds Four Times its weight in water, increasing the soil’s water management capacity through the reduction of runoff, evaporation, and mineral leaching.
- Humified compost dramatically increases the number of beneficial microorganisms along with a large dose of the enzymes, root stimulants, and humic compounds that they produce.
- The nitrogen-fixing bacteria found in humified compost convert atmospheric Nitrogen into plant usable, organic Nitrogen compounds.
- Application Rate
In gardens and around trees, till one inch of SOIL ESSENCE into
3 inches of existing topsoil prior to planting OR top dress with
one inch after planting.
On lawns, top dress with ¼” of SOIL ESSENCE and rake out evenly.
1 cubic yard of Soil Essence™ will cover 1300 square feet at a ¼" application rate OR 325 square feet at a 1" application rate.